Transcribed from the original, hand written family record of births, marriages and deaths of the Valentine Sevier family. It is very much like a Bible record, but written on three sheets of paper. The original was discovered in 1985 in the effects of our great-grandmother, Nannie Leila Sevier (Sabin) of Jonesborough, TN (1856-1935) who was the only daughter of Dr. William Robertson Sevier. Thank you to Mary Sabin Floyd for allowing me to scan the originals.
A copy of the original handwritten document can be viewed HERE.
It appears that this record was kept by Valentine
Sevier, with the last entry approximately 1848, prior to the
of his last child. The last entries appear to have been made
by another family member, possibly
his second wife, Vinerah Cannon
Note: I have not changed the spelling on
any of the names...they have been transcribed as they are
written, which includes nicknames.
The "old store house" of Mr. Deaderick could be "stone house."
Valentine Sevier, born 8th July
1. Isabel, born thursday 10th
about 8 o'clock in the morning- at her
2. Kezia, born, saturday 22nd
about 3 o'clock, afternoon, in Greeneville,
3. Robert, born tuesday 13th
about 12 o'clock at night, in Greeneville,
4. Betsy, born friday 13th October
about 12 o'clock at night, in Greeneville, in
5. Susanna, born tuesday 3rd March
about 7 o'clock in the evening in
6. James, born thursday morning
o'clock, 17th February 1814 in the same
7. Charles, born tuesday 30th
about 5 o'clock, afternoon in the same room
8. Jane, born monday evening
between 7 &
8 o'clock, 24th August 1818 in the green
9. David, born friday morning, 10
6th October 1820 in the green room above
10. William, born Saturday 7th
1822, 5 o'clock afternoon in the lower
11. Mary, born tuesday 21st
7 o'clock in the morning in the same
12. Edward, born thursday 20th
- 2 o'clock, afternoon in same room of
13. Joseph born monday 30th March
10 o'clock at night in our lodging room
Valentine Sevier & Nancy
by Rev. John W. Doak, tuesday 3rd January
1. Isabel, to Francis A. McCorkle
Sam. W. Doak- thursday 9th December
2. Kezia, to George Jones, by Rev.
W. Doak - tuesday 18th January 1825 in
3. Robert, to Ann H. Sibley, by [blank], 24th March 1831 in St. Charles, Missouri.
4. Elizabeth, or Betsy, to John W.
by Rev. James McLin, 20th October
5. Jane, to James H. Vance by Rev A. Rafe [?]
6. James to Jane Simpson by Rev.
A. McCorkle - thursday 1st September
7. Charles, to Elizabeth Briscoe by Rev. [blank], near Canton, Mississippi.
8. William to Martha Ellen
Rev. John W. Cunningham, Jonesborough,
9. David to Annis R. Netherland,
Frederick A. Rafe, 1st Oct. 1845 on Long
[Note: Two items below may be in a different hand]
Val Sevier & Vinerah Cannon
by Doct. F.A. McCorkle thursday 16th April
Charles Lyman their son born friday morning (8 o'clock) 30th April 1847.
11. Mary - on tuesday morning 6th
1825 - about 6 o'clock in the room of
My beloved Wife Nancy tuesday 26th
1844, about a quarter before 4 o'clock
7. Charles (my beloved son) on
August 1844, about [blank] o'clock at his residence in
Mary McCorkle, died 15th March 1827
Mrs. Isabel Dinwiddie died about 12 o'clock at night of wed. 28th Sept. 1831